ClassChoice and Schedule Changes
2023-24 Class Schedules in ClassChoice
ClassChoice is the online scheduling system PCHS uses to allow our students to access and adjust their class schedule for the upcoming school year. PCHS students will be able to review their 2023-24 PCHS Class Schedules via ClassChoice per the schedule below. Most students have a complete schedule. But if a student’s schedule is incomplete due to class conflicts or cancellations, they will have the opportunity to complete their schedule by making adjustments in ClassChoice. We recommend ALL students review their schedule to make sure it’s complete.
This is NOT the same as confirming your enrollment for the 2023-24 school year! Parents confirm their student’s enrollment for next year in the Current Student Enrollment Update system. See the Back To School Information page for that information.
NOTE: Class schedules are subject to change prior to the first day of school! Your FINAL schedule will be ready the morning of the first day of school in PowerSchool, or pick up a paper copy between 7:00 and 7:30am in the school office.
***Please read this ENTIRE page before logging into the ClassChoice system!
In August 2023:
- ClassChoice will OPEN on Tuesday, August 8 at 7:00am to grade levels 10-12. It will be open 24 hours.
- ClassChoice will CLOSE on Tuesday, August 15 at 7:00am.
- NO schedule changes will be accepted August 15-21. DO NOT email your counselor. Refer to the “Schedule Changes after ClassChoice Closes” section below.
- Link to ClassChoice: CLOSED
- How to Use ClassChoice
- 2023-24 PCHS Course Schedule (subject to change)
- We may cancel or close access to ClassChoice at any time. Closures will be noted on this page.
***BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING in ClassChoice, we recommend you sketch out a plan on paper FIRST. Print out a paper copy of your schedule in ClassChoice, then download the PCHS Master Schedule and map out any changes you may want to make, then check for class availability in ClassChoice. Make sure ALL the classes you want to change are available BEFORE you change anything. If a class is full, it’s FULL, and you won’t be allowed to take it. Once you make a change in ClassChoice, it’s done, and there is NO undo. If you drop a class that’s full, you won’t be able to get it back.
Read ALL the information and instructions provided on this page, in the ClassChoice system, and in the “Important Information and Tips” section below. Frequently asked questions are likely already answered.
If you tried to change your schedule in ClassChoice, but still have problems that you cannot resolve yourself, you can fill out the online ClassChoice Schedule Help Request Form (link will be posted when ready) and your counselor will respond. The help form will CLOSE on TBD at 3:00pm and NO more change requests will be accepted. Do NOT email your counselor. Don’t ask to get into a full class—If a class is full, it’s full—no exceptions!
For technical help ONLY (your login doesn’t work or the program isn’t working), email the Registrar (Ms. Frink) and explain the problem you are having with as much detail as possible. For best results, use a computer, not a mobile device. If it’s not working in one browser, try a different one. If the system becomes overloaded, it will go into a “queue” mode and students will be allowed in when there’s room. If you’re logged in and are inactive for too long, the program will log you out.
Important Information, Tips, and Reminders
- Read the “How to Use ClassChoice” handout above and read ALL instructions and warnings included on the ClassChoice screens.
- Be mindful of graduation requirements before making any changes! There is a tool in ClassChoice to help you estimate your graduation progress. For your official grad progress, look in PowerSchool (Grade History > View Graduation Progress), or contact your counselor.
- Only classes that are available to you will appear. Classes that are full, have unmet prerequisites, or are not offered to your grade level will NOT be available to you.
- If a class is full, it’s FULL. The counselors DO NOT have access to overload classes. If a student does not see an available seat, the counselors will not either.
- Place your cursor over the course name or course number to see the other periods/terms a particular course is offered.
- There is NO undo! Be very careful when dropping a class, as other students will be online at the same time looking for classes. If they choose the class that you just dropped, and the class is full, it will no longer be available to you.
- Make sure you have a full schedule—all eight periods, periods 1-4 Red and White, are filled each semester.
- Not sure what a course is about, what its prerequisites are, or what grade levels can take it? Look it up in the PCHS Course Catalog.
- The PCHS Master Schedule was built and classes were filled based on the requests the students made during class registration in March. Therefore, many classes are already at capacity and cannot be overfilled.
- This MAY NOT be your final class schedule! Changes to the PCHS Master Schedule, like teacher assignments, periods a course is offered, room numbers, etc., may occur over the summer. The spring version of your schedule MAY NOT match your August version. Final schedules will be available in PowerSchool (and paper copies can be picked up) on the morning of the first day of school.
Schedule Changes after ClassChoice Closes
NO requests for schedule changes will be accepted after ClassChoice closes in August as we finalize the class rosters and teachers begin preparing for their classes. DO NOT email your counselor for a schedule change.
Beginning on the first day of school, changes can be requested for FIVE DAYS ONLY. That information will be posted on the Schedule Change Policy tab above.
As stated in the Schedule Change Policy, once the school year is underway, students have only FIVE DAYS after each Semester begins to request a change, and no changes are accepted after midterm. Counselors will ONLY change schedules for the following reasons:
- There is an empty period in the student’s schedule.
- A senior is a missing graduation requirement.
- The student has already completed the course.
- The student hasn’t met a prerequisite requirement.
- The course change is medically necessary.
- The course change is a level change due to class failure or missing graduation requirement.
- Teacher-recommended academic placement.
Schedule Change Policy
It is important to realize that the PCHS master schedule is based upon the student requests made during class registration in March of the previous school year. In order to be fiscally responsible, the number of course sections within each subject area are based on those projections. Counselors spend a considerable amount of time in the spring ensuring students have the courses needed for graduation and their chosen electives or alternates, as requested. When a first choice elective or alternate selection is not able to fit in a student’s schedule, the counselor meets with the student to find a solution. Once requests are scheduled, it is difficult to make a schedule change because many classes will be at or near capacity. Therefore we anticipate minimal options for schedule changes.
Because of the impact and disruption changes have on class size and to ensure the balance of class loads, class capacities will NOT be overfilled.
Before the First Day of School:
About two weeks before school starts in August, students will be given the opportunity to view and potentially make changes to their class schedules using the online ClassChoice system. See the ClassChoice page for information. Schedule change requests will NOT be accepted via email.
During the School Year:
Once the school year is underway, students may ONLY request a schedule change within the first FIVE DAYS of the SEMESTER. Information on how to request a change will be posted here.
- Beginning on the first day of school, August 22nd, and for FIVE DAYS ONLY, changes can be requested in person in the Counseling Office. See the secretary, Ms. Jensen, for an appointment slip. Do NOT email your counselor for a schedule change.
After the FIVE DAY change window has closed, requests for schedule changes will require communication between the student, teacher, parent, counselor, and sometimes administration, depending on the circumstances. Any student requesting a level change or class drop will be directed back to their teacher for a conversation. Students may not join a new elective course after the schedule change window has closed. Level change requests for core classes are dependent on class size. Valid reasons for schedule changes could include incorrect placement of a new transfer student or changes due to a medical condition, 504 plan, IEP, CCR, or Safe School Violation. Absolutely NO drops or changes after MIDTERM each quarter.
For the Next School Year:
In May, after the next year's master class schedule has been finalized, current Sophomores and Juniors will have the opportunity to view and potentially make changes to their class schedules for the next school year. See the ClassChoice page for information. Schedule change requests will NOT be accepted via email